The home buying process may seem complicated, but if you take things step-by-step, you will soon be holding the keys to your own home!
- Know how much you can afford – This depends on your income, credit, current monthly expenses, down-payment and interest rate.
- Shop for a loan -Talk to several lenders, compare costs, interest rates, and negotiate to get a better deal. Consider getting pre-approved for a loan.
- Shop for a home – Come up with a wish list. This list should include: price, location, rooms (including bathrooms), age, and condition.
- Make an offer – Do not be afraid to make a low offer. As told to us by one real estate agent: “There is no such thing as a bad offer.” Be prepared to negotiate and be prepared to walk away from the deal if the home gets too pricey. Try to remain as emotionless as possible and view the purchase like the business decision that it is.
- Get a home inspection – A home inspection is a vital part of the home buying process. Make your offer contingent on this inspection. An inspection needs to be done to tell you about the condition of the home. The inspection can assist you in avoiding buying a home that needs major repairs.
- Shop for Massachusetts Homeowners Insurance – Mortgage companies require that you have homeowners insurance in place at the time of the closing. We recommend that you get a quote from http://www.MassQuotes.com.
- Sign the papers – You are finally ready for your closing. Be sure to read everything before you sign. An attorney can help assist you with this process.
- Move in! – Congratulations on your new home!